Community Care Assessments – Adults

If you believe that your community care assessment is wrong for some reason, or if you are unhappy with its outcome, Sinclairslaw will be able to offer you specialist advice about your situation. As a general principle, a person may not have community care services until the local authority has carried out a community care assessment and made a decision that the person is eligible for such services. For adults, the right to an assessment is contained in s47 NHS & Community Care Act 1990. The local authority must carry out such an assessment where the person has the ‘appearance of need’ for community care services; it is not necessary for a person to have to request a community care assessment for a local authority to be under a duty to complete one. A full assessment is often referred to as a ‘unified assessment’ (or sometimes a ‘social care assessment’) and such assessments are wide-ranging, taking into account all of a person’s health and social care needs. As well as obtaining information from the person being assessed, the assessment may also include information from other sources, such as their carer(s), GP and medical professionals. It is important to note that not all of a person’s care needs (known as ‘presenting needs’) will be met by social services. Most local authorities will meet a person’s needs only where the needs are ‘substantial’ or ‘critical’ and, if so, these needs are referred to as ‘eligible needs’, for which services to meet those needs must be provided. At Sinclairslaw, we recognise that an unsatisfactory community care assessment is often a source of difficulty for people with community care needs. We have considerable experience in advising people who find themselves in this situation and we would be happy to help you. Community Care Assessments - Children >>>

Specialist Community Care Solicitors - Here to Help

Contact us today: or by telephone on (029) 2070 6444


The information contained in this web site is provided solely for information purposes only. It does not constitute legal or other professional advice. Sinclairslaw does not give any endorsement, warranty or representation, expressed or implied by statute collaterally or otherwise with regard to the products or services which are advised or promoted on this or any linked sites.

Sinclairslaw accept no responsibility for loss or damage which may arise from errors or omissions of information contained in the web site or other site that may be linked to this site from time to time or for reliance on any such information. It is important that those who have access to the site and require help take proper legal advice by contacting the firm of Sinclairs so that we can properly advise on the information that you are able to provide us.

Legal services that we provide

Sinclairslaw is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority 174130.

Copyright © 1997-2014 Sinclairslaw