Home Tuition and The Law

In certain circumstances a child that does not attend school may be entitled to home tuition. Be careful to ensure to take legal advice from a solicitor however as local authorities can prosecute parents for not ensuring that their child attends school regularly.

When can I expect my child to receive Home Tuition

A parent has the right to educate a child at home. But that does not mean that the local authority will always assist. However there are circumstances when the local authority must provide help.

Section 19 Education Act 1996 provides that home tuition may be arranged if a child is out of school by reason of "illness" "exclusion" or where there are "otherwise" good reasons for providing the support.

Home tuition may in some cases be arranged when a child cannot attend school because they may have been bullied and therefore are too afraid to return to school. It is possible to obtain support for a child who may not because of ill health be able to attend school regularly.

It is however essential to ensure that you are aware of your rights in these circumstances. This is because, if a local authority is not helping when they should, you could bring a court action to force the authority to assist.

If you feel that your child should receive home tuition contact us today. We have specialist education law solicitors who can help you.


The information contained in this web site is provided solely for information purposes only. It does not constitute legal or other professional advice. Sinclairslaw does not give any endorsement, warranty or representation, expressed or implied by statute collaterally or otherwise with regard to the products or services which are advised or promoted on this or any linked sites.

Sinclairslaw accept no responsibility for loss or damage which may arise from errors or omissions of information contained in the web site or other site that may be linked to this site from time to time or for reliance on any such information. It is important that those who have access to the site and require help take proper legal advice by contacting the firm of Sinclairs so that we can properly advise on the information that you are able to provide us.

Legal services that we provide

Sinclairslaw is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority 174130.

Copyright © 1997-2014 Sinclairslaw