BarristerEducation Law, Childcare, Litigation firstname.lastname@example.org+44(0)29 2070 6444 or (+44)(0) 20 8891 4488 Extension: 336Cardiff and London
Matthew was called to the bar in March 2014 and practises in the Firm’s public law and litigation departments. He has been involved in a diverse range of public law matters including those in respect of education, health and social care. He also has significant experience in public law children proceedings including in proceedings concerning applications for care orders, placement orders and special guardianship orders. When appropriate, he will also assist in commercial and civil disputes. He has appeared in his own right before various Tribunals including the First Tier Tribunal, the Upper Tribunal, SENTW, the Family Court, the Employment Tribunal and the Family Proceedings Court.
Cases of note that Matthew has been involved in include:
- Thilakawardhana v OIA  EWCA Civ 13 – application for permission to appeal and substantive appeal
- Zahid v University of Manchester  EWHC 188 (Admin) – leading authority on the relationship between the courts and the OIA
- DS v Wolverhampton City Council  EWHC 1660 (Admin) – considering the application of s19 Education Act 1996
- AC v OIA (unreported) – considering the legality of the OIA’s rules
He has prepared various documentation including:
- Various advices, including on the merits of various judicial review challenges
- Various position statements and skeleton arguments in the Family Court
- Particulars of claim in a complex multi-jurisdictional breach of contract, negligence and personal injury claim
- Part 18 requests and replies in relation to, amongst other matters, a claim under the Solicitors Act 1974
- Multiple draft grounds for judicial review
- A position statement on behalf of P for the final hearing in a case concerning P’s right to decide how she wished to die
- Various judicial review pre action protocol letters on a variety of different education and social care matters
- Written submissions for a complex care trial
Matthew is a member of the Attorney General’s Civil Counsel Panel (Junior Juniors Scheme) enabling him to undertake work on behalf of the Government Legal Department.
During pupillage Matthew spent some time on secondment to a prestigious family chambers in London to work alongside a leading childcare silk and assisted him prepare all aspects of a 5 day care trial as well as a hearing before an internal university panel.
Prior to his pupillage Matthew spent 2 years working for a specialist education law firm in central London and 1 year for a boutique firm advising the public sector on various public law matters. Matthew also spent 6 months working as a legal assistant to the Head of Chambers at a top tier commercial chambers in Mauritius.
Alongside practise, Matthew is a contributing editor to Clarke Hall and Morrison on Children, the leading practitioner text on chid law, as well as a regular contributor to Lexis PSL, providing updates on the law to the legal profession. Matthew has also been published in The Times Higher Education, the Education Law Monitor and the Solicitors Journal.